Learn and Teach
Chinese Language Learning Improvement Scheme for Non-Chinese Speaking Students
Curriculum Introduction Goal
- Increasing the size of vocabulary, reading ability, and writing ability of the non-Chinese speaking students.
- Assisting the non-Chinese-speaking students in adapting to the Chinese language curriculum and applying the language in their daily lives.
- Providing equal opportunity for the non-Chinese speaking students and the local students in learning the Chinese Language, and building an inclusive campus.
- Providing extra Chinese language learning curriculum for the non-Chinese speaking students for boosting their learning confidence.
- Introducing the Chinese Culture to the non-Chinese speaking students to help them in integrating into the society as soon as possible.
- Designing the course content according to the ‘Second Language Learning Framework’ of Education Bureau, with progressive learning goals, process, and learning results, in order to help the non-Chinese speaking students to learn the Chinese language in small steps and to enhance the teaching efficiency.
- Helping the non-Chinese speaking students in learning Chinese through pull-out learning (1 teacher taking care of 1-4 students in a group), individual learning plan, and after-school study group.
- During the reading class, the teacher will lead the non-Chinese speaking students through paired reading activities.
- Providing extra IGCSE and DSE classes for non-Chinese speaking students for diversified career pathways.
- Subject teachers will keep regular contact with the parents and inform the parents of the non-Chinese speaking students about the learning progress of their children and the support provided by the school.
'Lexical Lists for Chinese Learning in Hong Kong Primary School' App (「香港小學習字表」), designed according to official guidelines – this app has been designed according to the guideline of 'Lexical Lists for Chinese Learning in Hong Kong Primary Schoo' by the Education Bureau to help primary students in learning the correct stroke order of Chinese characters.